The Amateur Astronomers Association of Guyana (AAAG) was founded by Guyanese astrophotographer, Ferlin Pedro, in collaboration with a few individuals who share an interest and passion for astronomy and science. The establishment started out as an informal group that would gather frequently with other local amateur astronomers, and those generally interested in astronomy and science.
AAAG has a wide range of yearly activities: from camping trips under a dark sky retelling the story of our current scientific understanding of the universe, to guided night sky tours of celestial objects, and events featuring educational workshops and lectures in astronomy; competitions to win free telescopes, and so much more!
Members of the current Committee include young and inspiring Guyanese from different areas of expertise:
- Ferlin Pedro | Founder and President of AAAG, Amateur Astronomer
- Krysta Bisnauth | Co-Founder of AAAG
- Athar Khan | Student/President of the University of Guyana Astronomical Society
- Ariel Bailey | Student at the University of Guyana
- Farnaz Baksh | Student/Member of STEM Guyana, and Amateur Astronomer
- Mahendra Mahadeo | Amateur Astronomer/Engineer based in New York, USA
- Meshach Pierre | Researcher, Biologist, and Science Educator